For the sushi rice
200g Japanese sticky rice
50g rice vinegar
FOR THE VEGETABLE ROLL
4 asparagus, boiled
1 cucumber, seeds removed and sliced
2 lettuce leaves, cut into strips
Half avocado, cut into long strips
20g Japanese mayonnaise
4 sheets nori (dried seaweed sheets)
10g roasted sesame seed
1. To make the sushi rice: wash it gently under running water, taking care not to crush the grains.
2. Drain the rice for about an hour then put in a saucepan with a lid, add the 240ml water and cook for about 15 minutes.
3. The rice is cooked when the water is absorbed. Turn off the heat. Remove the lid and cover with a towel to absorb any condensation.
4. While the rice is cooking, mix together the vinegar, sugar and salt until dissolved.
5. Sprinkle the dressing little by little over the rice, stirring gently. The prepared rice should be kept at room temperature.
6. To make the rolls: put down a bamboo sushi mat, then spread the sushi rice on top of a sheet of nori and lay the sliced vegetables lengthways. Roll it into a neat tube using the mat. Next, cut into slices and serve with soy sauce and pickled ginger.
The Japanese word for the bamboo mat is makisu and they can be found in most supermarket chains throughout the UAE.
INFO: Miyako, Hyatt Regency Dubai, 04 317 2222, www.dubai.regency.hyatt.com.