Miniature foods are my weakness, be they cupcakes, mini tarts or tiny pies. But my all-time favourites are vanilla cupcakes with dulce de leche frosting because they’re great for sharing. And if I choose to make them in small cups, they’re not too naughty. Try them…
225g unsalted and softened butter
4 large eggs, at room temperature
375g self raising flour
170g all purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C.
2. Line three 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers
3. In a large bowl, on the medium speed of an electric mixer, cream the butter until it is smooth.
Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, beating the mixture well after each addition.
5. Combine the flours and add in four parts, alternating with the milk and the vanilla extract, beating well after each addition.
6. Spoon the batter into the cups about three-quarters full. Bake until the tops spring back when they’re lightly touched.
7. Remove cupcakes from pans and cool completely on a rack before icing.
Dulce De Leche Frosting
360g unsalted and softened butter
3 tbsp heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla
A pinch of salt
500g icing sugar
175ml dulce de leche
1. Cream together softened butter and powdered sugar on low speed using an electric mixer.
2. Add the cream, vanilla, and salt.
3. Beat on medium speed until smooth and no lumps appear. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. Add the prepared dulce de leche and beat to incorporate.
5. Frost cooled cupcakes using a spatula or a pastry bag with a tip.