New Dubai App that will Probably Stop you Using a Taxi Ever Again!
Need a car for the day? Don’t have the time or patience to visit your local rent-a-car? udrive may just be the answer to your problems.
The Dubai-based concept, established in 2014, has revolutionised the city’s car rental industry with a pay-as-you-go concept that means drivers simply pay per minute. udrive brings a 50 fils per minute rate to the market, where drivers only pay when driving, with insurance, petrol and parking fees included. Cars can be booked and paid for via an app, making udrive Dubai’s most convenient and affordable car rental option.
Keyless access through a mobile phone, the ability to park for free across key areas of the city, as well as free petrol, means drivers can go anywhere in the emirate they need to. Once finished, they can leave the car parked at their destination for the next driver to you use, or for the udrive team to collect, providing the greatest convenience for short-term hire.
The process is simple. Here’s how it goes:
Go to www.udrive.ae and fill in a registration form
Once registered, you will receive an activation e-mail and udrive PIN
Download the udrive app from the App store or Google Play, and login with your details
You will then see a map of Dubai with udrive cars parked in all major locations
Select the one that is most convenient for you
You may either reserve the car for later, or book it for immediate use
When you get to the car, click on Start Direct on the app, and answer the questions to open the car
Once you are inside, open the glove compartment and take out the udrive terminal
Enter your udrive PIN if requested, and remove the key from the terminal
Start your udrive car, and off you go!
Hasib Khan, Managing Director of udrive, said: “Dubai’s ever-changing need for transport solutions, the transient nature of life, and the overriding costs of car ownership makes pay-as-you-go car rental a viable alternative. For those that don’t want to commit to ownership, or don’t have the need for everyday car accessibility, udrive makes the perfect option.”
The team at udrive has been progressively testing the German-developed technology behind the keyless access and tracking system for the 50-strong fleet of Toyota Yaris’, as well as looking at ways to improve connectivity, simplicity for drivers, and making sure that motorists can move around with ease through Dubai’s key districts. The company aims to grow the fleet significantly within the next six months, in line with market demand.
“We have ambitious plans for udrive here in Dubai, and the rest of the United Arab Emirates, while we’re also looking to other Gulf markets for the opportunity to bring udrive to key cities in the Gulf Cooperation Council countries,” confirmed Khan.
The udrive team has worked intensively with its technology provider from Germany during 2015 on the development and optimisation of applications and solutions specifically for consumers in the Middle East. The concept is well known in European and North American countries and was launched by udrive in the first phase in Dubai.
- Connect: It only takes a few minutes to register and receive credentials, then two minutes to download app and book a car
- Cost: 50 fils per minute for the first four hours, then a flat fee of AED 120 per day. There is also an AED 20 monthly membership fee
- Insurance: this is all included in the price
- Distance: unlimited for the first four hours, then a cap of 150 kilometres free for the remaining time. 25 fils will be applied for any additional kilometres over this limit
- Fuel: udrive cars take regular petrol and it’s free, we’ll reward you with a 20-minute drive if you fill up the tank. RFID technology means you can fill and go at any ENOC or EPPCO petrol station
- Parking: each car is equipped with an A zone parking card, this provides free parking across the city, except for TECOM and Deira Fish Market
- Diagnostics: udrive constantly tracks the cars and gets feedback from the on-board computer, if you break down, they’ll replace it for you
INFO: 800-udrive (837483), www.udrive.ae