TV Dinners: Coconut and Kiwi-Encrusted Salmon with Spicy Quinoa and Gold Kiwi Salad
The Studio One set is stress-free and friendly, and you get the feeling everyone’s like family. There’s even ‘sibling’ rivalry with Tom (Egerton) and Tom (Urquhart) battling for the title ‘Tom Number One.’ We won’t say who wins! In between the light-hearted banter, the chef (who first came to Dubai with Gary Rhodes to set up Mezzanine) puts together coconut and kiwi-encrusted salmon with spicy quinoa and gold kiwi salad.
It’s a light and tasty dish and incorporates quinoa, which is one of those ingredients that not everyone knows how to pronounce (keen-wah, apparently) or quite what to do with. Quinoa is considered a whole grain (and can be treated as one) but is actually a seed that contains loads of protein – all nine essential amino acids, in fact. It’s gluten-free and packed with magnesium, vitamin c and potassium – what’s not to like? It’s also a flavour sponge and can be swayed in different directions by using whatever herbs or spices you fancy. In his dish, Tom brings the quinoa to life with lemongrass, ginger and chilli and then balances the spicy heat with sweet basil and refreshing kiwi. The salad is seriously satisfying on its own, but the coconut and kiwi-encrusted salmon is a worthy addition to turn it into a more substantial dish. As Ash puts it, “The spicy quinoa provided the punch and worked very well with the salmon. It’s not often you find a healthy dish that also has glamour and taste.”
Tom, though he’s not a fan of fruit and food combinations, agrees: “For me, fruit should be left in the bowl, rather than being mixed or paired with a never ending list of foods and flavours. However, I’m happy to try whatever is put in front of me and I have to say that ‘The Ege’s’ quinoa had several plus points. The kiwi cuts through the spice and gives it a zest and freshness that is an ideal pairing for the salmon.”
Coconut and Kiwi-Encrusted Salmon with Spicy Quinoa and Gold Kiwi Salad
For the Salad
1 stick lemongrass, crushed
50g ginger, sliced
2 gold kiwi fruits
A small handful of sweet basil
1 red chilli
20ml chilli oil
250ml boiling water
For the Salmon
2 x 140g organic salmon portions, skinned
100g desiccated coconut
A small handful coriander
3g ginger powder
1 clove garlic, chopped
15g sesame seeds
10ml olive oil
1. Place the quinoa and boiling water into a pan.
2. Add the crushed lemongrass stick, chilli and the sliced ginger in with the quinoa.
3. Bring to the boil and simmer with the lid on until the water is completely soaked into the quinoa.
4. Place the cooked quinoa into a bowl, add the chilli oil and fluff up with a fork.
5. Add chopped Thai basil, chilli oil, chopped red chilli and chopped gold kiwi fruit
6. Season to taste and set the salad aside.
1. Blend the two kiwis to a rough purée.
2. Mix with the desiccated coconut, sesame seeds and chopped coriander.
3. Add the ginger powder and chopped garlic.
4. Pat the salmon with the coconut mix so that you get an even coating.
5. Place into a hot, non-stick pan and cook on both sides until golden brown, but still pink in the middle.