Your Very Own Tom Jones Fact File
1. When Tom was 12 he was forced to stay indoors for two years after catching TB. But he still managed to sing and also learned to play the ukulele his mum bought him.
2. Before landing a solo record deal, he worked in a glove factory in his native South Wales and performed with local band Tommy Scott & the Senators.
3. Tom’s son Mark, who he had when he was 16 with wife Melinda Trenchard, now manages his dad’s career.
4. A few years ago one of his assistants admitted that throwing ladies’ undergarments at his concerts began as a ploy to get the crowds going in Las Vegas. These days Tom’s sick of it, saying last year: “It’s just wrong.”
5. It was Tom’s song It’s Not Unusual that catapulted him to fame. However, it almost didn’t happen. The song was originally meant for English songstress Sandi Shaw, and Tom’s voice was only used on the demo track so she could hear how it sounded. But when she heard his crooning she realised her dulcet tones could never do it justice and told Tom to release the song instead.
INFO: Dhs300 (general admission) and Dhs450 (golden circle), du Forum, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi, 800 TM UAE (86 823), www.ticketmaster.ae