Tea Smoked Tandoori Chicken Breast
1 tomato, deseeded and cut into strips
1 cucumber, deseeded and cut into strips
¼ of a large onion, cut into strips
1 green chilli, deseeded and cut into strips
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp vinegar
½ tsp sea salt
4 airline chicken breasts
½ tsp kosher salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
4 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup of plain yoghurt
¾ cup of heavy cream
2½ tbsp ginger paste
2½ tbsp garlic paste
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp saffron
6 tbsp loose jasmine tea
½ tbsp sugar
½ tbsp flour
1. To prepare the spice rub: in a small bowl, combine the salt, chilli powder and lemon juice to make a thick paste. Rub the paste evenly over the chicken breasts.
2. Set the chicken aside for 15 minutes to let the flavours be absorbed.
1. In a large bowl, combine the yoghurt, heavy cream, ginger paste, garlic paste, cumin, garam masala and saffron. Whisk everything together. Rub sauce evenly over the chicken breasts, thoroughly covering the chicken.
2. Cover and place in the refrigerator to marinate for 4 hours.
3. Preheat the grill to a medium high temperature and cook the chicken for 25 minutes.
4. While the chicken cooks, line an old baking pan with foil and a baking rack. Add half a tablespoon of sugar and half a tablespoon of flour to the bottom of the pan and sprinkle with the six tablespoons of jasmine tea.
5. Remove chicken from the grill and transfer to the rack. Cover with foil and smoke for 10 minutes on the grill, at a medium temperature.
6. Remove the pan from the grill and carefully open the foil, allowing the smoke to escape. Let the chicken rest for a few minutes.
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a medium, non-reactive bowl. Set aside.
2. Slice the chicken breast at an angle and serve with the Kachumber salad. Enjoy!
INFO: This recipe was provided by TV chef Saba Wahid. Visit www.sabawahid.com for more.