200g packet of tamarind
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp cumin powder
½ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp white sugar
4 whole sweet potatoes
Sea salt and pepper
2-3 tbsp clarified butter
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chilli flakes
1. Soak the tamarind in boiling water for about 10 minutes (keep moist). Turn the heat off and keep warm. Using a hand blender, purée the tamarind and water and put through a sieve. Try to avoid the seeds when using the blender.
2. Pour the liquid into a small saucepan at a low temperature and add the salt, chilli powder, cumin powder, brown sugar and white sugar.
3. Simmer at a low temperature until thick. Set aside.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Slice the sweet potatoes in half, pierce with a fork, place flesh-side down onto a baking sheet and roast in the oven for about an hour or until cooked through.
3. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Remove the skin and transfer the potatoes to a large mixing bowl. Using a hand blender, whip the potatoes until smooth and creamy. Add half a cup of the tamarind chutney, season with salt and pepper.
4. For the Bhagar, heat the clarified butter in a small sauce pan at a high temperature. Add the cumin seeds and chilli flakes and flash fry until the cumin turns brown. Remove from the heat and fold into the potatoes. Mix thoroughly and enjoy!
INFO: This recipe was provided by TV chef Saba Wahid. Visit www.sabawahid.com for more.