500g pumpkin, cut into small cubes
½ cup water
2 tbsp sugar
½ tsp cinnamon, powdered
¼ tsp ginger, powdered
1 cup mixed nuts
½ cup coconut flakes
½ cup sultanas
For The Sweet Béchamel Sauce
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
2 cups full-fat milk
½ tsbp cinnamon, powdered
A pinch of nutmeg
3 tbsp butter
1. Pour the water into a deep pan and add in the pumpkin cubes. Sprinkle with sugar, ginger and cinnamon. Bring to the boil, covered, until the pumpkin becomes soft and the water is completely absorbed.
2. Remove from the heat and, using a fork, mash the pumpkin until smooth.
3. Meanwhile, heat the butter in a skillet, add in the flour and mix.
4. Add in the milk gradually and whisk until smooth.
5. Add the sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon and continue stirring until it thickens.
6. Layer 4 individual ramekins with a thick layer of mashed pumpkin. Top with coconut, sultanas and nuts. Add an extra layer of pumpkin and then finish with a layer of sweet béchamel sauce.
7. Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Serve warm or chilled.