Recipe: White Snowflake Cake
1 cup butter, softened
½ cup vegetable shortening
3 cups granulated sugar
5 eggs, room temperature
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup whole milk, room temperature
½ cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175C. Prepare three 23cm round cake pans with non-stick baking spray or coated well with shortening or butter and floured, taking care to remove all excess flour.
- Cream together butter and shortening with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Slowly add sugar, one cup at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each cup before adding another. Add eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour whole milk, buttermilk and vanilla into measuring cup and whisk together with a fork. Add to butter and shortening mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Gently stir all ingredients until well combined. Stop mixer and scrape down sides and bottom of bowl, making sure to have all ingredients mixed well.
- Evenly distribute cake batter between cake pans and place pans into oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove and allow to cool slightly in cake pans for about 5 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Frost cake as desired.