Recipe: Venetian Coffee Trifles
SERVES 4 TO 6
1 rounded tbsp instant coffee granules, plus extra for serving
250g tub ricotta, drained
2 level tbsp caster sugar
1 egg, separated
30g dark chocolate, melted
4 level tbsp ground almonds
The zest of ½ lemon or orange, finely grated
1 tbsp lemon or orange juice
12 to 16 sponge fingers
A few chocolate-coated coffee beans, optional
YOU WILL ALSO NEED
4 or 6 coffee cups
- Dissolve the coffee in 150ml boiling water. Set aside.
- Mix the ricotta and sugar in a bowl. Divide the mixture into two bowls.
- Whisk the egg white in another bowl and fold it into one half of the ricotta mixture with the melted chocolate.
- Add the egg yolk, ground almonds, zest and juice to the other half of the ricotta mixture.
- Dip half the sponge fingers into the coffee for a few seconds so they absorb the liquid. Place them into the cups.
- Smooth the chocolate ricotta mixture on top.
- Dip the rest of the fingers in the coffee, to use it all up, and place in the cups.
- Spread the almond ricotta mixture on top. Cover loosely and chill for 3 hours (or overnight).
- Take the puddings out of the fridge 10 minutes before serving.
- Sift the coffee granules over the top and before serving, add a few chocolate coated coffee beans, if you like.