Healthy Recipe: Tuna Wraps with Zesty Slaw
Tuna and avocado are the two magic words that speak a hearty and tasty meal to me, not to mention HEALTHY! I came up with this dish one hot summer day when I was thinking of how to incorporate more avocado into my diet, without the accompaniment of those greasy little tortilla chips. Sticking to the “Mexican” theme, I’ve used Lo-Carb Multi-Grain Tortilla wraps and the result is this delicious meal which can be enjoyed in the wraps or as tuna steaks with avocado corn salsa and zesty slaw on the side.
Spice rub (recipe below)
Maldon smoked salt
Lo-Carb tortilla wraps
Avocado Corn Salsa
2 ripe avocados
1 jalapeno pepper finely diced
1 clove crushed garlic
2 tbsp of finely diced spring onions
1 lime (juiced)
1 cup of fresh boiled corn
1 tsp cumin powder
¼ cup of freshly chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Carrot Cabbage Cucumber Slaw
3 shredded carrots
3 julienned cucumbers
½ head of shredded red cabbage
½ cup of red wine vinegar
1 tbsp of Knorr chili mayonnaise
1 clove of crushed garlic
2 tbsp of chopped red onion
Toasted Spice Rub
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp crushed red chili flakes
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cinnamon
Toast the spices in a pan and blend in a coffee grinder. This mixture will last for a while, and you can use it to season roasted vegetables, meat and soup.
1. First prepare the veggies for the slaw, grate the carrots, shred the cabbage and julienne the cucumbers. Set aside.
2. Next prepare the dressing by combining all the ingredients and blending together. Wait to dress the slaw until right before serving.
3. For the avocado and corn salsa, first remove the avocado from the shell and mash with either a fork or a mortar and pestle.
4. Next add the lime juice to loosen the avocado a bit more. Now add all the other ingredients – jalapeno, spring onion, garlic, corn – and mix with a fork thoroughly, following with the seasoning, cumin powder, salt and pepper. Lastly add the fresh coriander and lightly mix them together.
5. Heat the tortillas either in a pan, one at a time or in a stack in the microwave. Cover them to keep warm. 6. Now you can finish the slaw by mixing the veggies with the prepared dressing.
7. Next, heat a pan or griddle to a medium high temperature. Mix the lime zest, toasted spice mixture and smoked sea salt and rub all over the tuna.
8. Next, sear the Tuna on the griddle for about 1-2 minutes on each side, depending on how you like the tuna. I tend to keep it more on the rare side. Remove the tuna steak from the heat and let it sit for about 30 seconds.
9. Now slice the tuna into substantial strips and place at one end of the tortilla wrap, Add the avocado corn salsa, and a bit of the slaw. You can also eat the slaw on the side. ENJOY!!!
Join Saba Wahid and Tom Urquhart on Studio One daily where they discuss everything from fashion to finances and of course food, and interview some of the UAE’s most interesting and influential people.
Sunday to Thursday at 7.30pm on Dubai One.