FOR THE SALAD
2 gold kiwifruit, peeled
6 cups mixed wild greens
2 green kiwifruit, peeled, quartered and sliced
1 green apple, cored and julienned
FOR THE MISO VINAIGRETTE DRESSING
2 tbsps rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp white miso paste
1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
½ tsp sugar
Pinch cayenne pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
FOR THE TEMPURA CALAMARI
Vegetable oil (for frying)
1 cup tempura batter mix
¾ cup ice water
450g calamari, cleaned and cut into rings
1. To make the miso vinaigrette dressing: purée all the ingredients in a small food processor or blender until just blended, then set aside.
2. To make the tempura calamari: preheat 2 inches of oil in a large frying pan.
3. Combine the tempura batter mix and ice water in a medium bowl until blended. Dip the calamari into the batter and place in the hot oil. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, until golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain any excess oil.
4. Purée the gold kiwifruit in a food processor or blender. Do not crush the seeds. Set aside.
5. Place the salad greens, sliced kiwifruit and apple in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over the greens and toss lightly. Divide the salad across 4 plates, drizzle the kiwifruit purée around the edge of the plates and top with the calamari.