Recipe: Roast Pumpkin, Red Onion and Sage Tart
A winter warmer the whole family will enjoy
ROAST PUMPKIN, RED ONION AND SAGE TART
A real winter warmer for the whole family to enjoy
FOR THE PASTRY
150g Lurpak butter blocks
250g plain flour
1 large egg yolk
FOR THE FILLING
Lurpak cooking mist
300g pumpkin, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 small red onions, peeled and cut into wedges
20g fresh sage, removed from stalks and roughly chopped
2 large eggs
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
100g feta cheese crumbled
1. Preheat oven at 170C.
2. To make the pastry, sift the flour into a mixing bowl, rubbing in the Lurpak butter blocks until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
3. Add the yolk and one teaspoon of cold water, mixing quickly to make a smooth dough.
4. Wrap the mixture in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, spray the pumpkin with Lurpak cooking mist. Bake for 15 minutes.
6. Add the red onion and sage, then season with salt and pepper and bake for a further 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
7. Roll out the pastry and place in a 20cm flan tin, leaving enough pastry so that it hangs over the sides. Prick the bottom of the pastry and leave to chill for 30 minutes.
8. Once chilled, line the pastry with baking parchment and fill with pastry weights or uncooked rice and blind bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
9. Remove the pastry case from the oven, removing the baking parchment and baking weights or rice. Trim off the edges with a serrated knife and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes to dry out completely.
10. To make the egg mixture, mix together the cream and eggs in a large bowl, then add three quarters of the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
11. Evenly spread the roasted vegetables over the bottom of the pastry case and pour over the egg mixture.
12. Scatter over the remaining cheese and cook for 30 to 35 minutes, until the egg mixture has set and the tart is golden brown.
13. Remove from the oven and serve.