Recipe: Red Velvet Cake Pops
Almost too adorable to eat!
© ITP Images
MAKES 45 POPS
1 red velvet cake (sponge only)
1 quantity vanilla buttercream
600g white chocolate
46 red or white lollipop sticks
- Line a tray with non-stick baking paper. Break the velvet cake into rough pieces. Use your hands to rub the cake pieces over a large bowl to form small, even crumbs. Remove 60g of the cake crumbs and set aside.
- Add the buttercream to the remaining cake crumbs and mix well until evenly combined. Squeeze 1 tablespoonful of the cake mixture firmly so that it holds together, then roll it into a 3cm ball. Place on the lined tray. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make 46 balls in total. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Put the chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn’t touch the water. Stir until the chocolate melts. Dip the end of a lollipop stick into the melted chocolate to coat about 2cm, then insert into a cake ball and return to the lined tray. Repeat with the remaining sticks, melted chocolate and cake balls. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until the sticks are secure. Reserve the remaining melted chocolate.
- To decorate, dip the pops one at a time into the remaining chocolate and gently tap the lollipop stick on the edge of the bowl to remove excess chocolate, turning as you go to create an even coating. You may need to gently reheat the chocolate over a saucepan of simmering water if it is too thick for coating. Sprinkle with the reserved cake crumbs then insert the sticks into a polystyrene block or similar to keep them upright. Refrigerate the pops for 10 minutes or until the chocolate sets.
- Keep pops in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.