RECIPE: Pistachio, Cardomon and Carrot Muffins
3 cups whole-wheat or
3 tsp baking powder
3 tsp baking soda
2 tsp freshly ground green cardamom pods
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp ginger powder
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
3 cups grated carrots
¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup maple syrup
1 cup soy milk
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp sea salt
1 cup pistachios, lightly toasted and chopped, plus more for decorating
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Line 16 muffin tins with paper cupcake liners.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices into a large bowl, and use a whisk to stir well.
3. Put the grated carrots in a food processor and pulse a few times, then set aside.
4. In another bowl, combine the olive oil, maple syrup, soy milk, vinegar, vanilla and salt, whisk until emulsified and then stir in the carrots.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined. Fold in the pistachios and divide the batter between the 16 lined muffin tins. Fill all the way to the top.
6. Bake in the oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Do a toothpick test to check if they’re done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.