PARSNIP AND SPINACH SOUP
Parsnips add a hint of something different to this ordinary spinach and potato soup
FOR THE SPINACH PURÉE
1 tbsp butter
2 shallots, finely chopped
200g fresh spinach, stalks removed
4 tbsp cream
FOR THE SOUP
2 tsp olive oil
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 tsp fresh rosemary
200g potato, peeled and chopped
200g parsnip, plus 100g extra to serve, peeled and sliced
1.5 L vegetable stock
1 bunch spinach leaves, stalks removed
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Warm bread to serve
1. To make the spinach purée, melt the butter in a small pan. Add the shallots and the spinach and fry until the spinach has wilted.
2. Transfer the spinach and shallots into a food processor, add a splash of water and the cream and blend until smooth. Add more water if the purée is too thick. Return the spinach to the pan and re-heat gently.
3. To make the soup, melt the butter and olive oil together in a heavy-bottom soup pot.
4. Grate in nutmeg then add onion, garlic, thyme and rosemary. Stir until soft, then add potato and parsnip.
5. Stir for 3 minutes then add the stock, reduce and let cook gently for approximately 30 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
6. Purée soup and season. Add spinach leaves. Top with a generous drizzle of spinach purée and, if desired, fried parsnip rounds. Serve with bread.