MINI ORANGE-PARSNIP CHEESECAKES
The secret ingredient in these yummy cheesecakes isn’t love – it’s parsnips!
1 ½ cups gluten-free ginger cookie crumbs
¼ cup butter
¾ cup orange juice
1 ¾ cups mashed parsnip
6 egg yolks
6 egg whites
2 225g packages cream cheese
300 ml sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp salt
1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
½ cup almond meal
2 tsp grated orange rind
½ cup orange marmalade
2 tbsp water
2 tsp cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Combine cookie crumbs, butter and a third of the orange juice, press into the bottom of a cupcake tin with 16 slots.
3. Bake 15 minutes until firm. Cool completely.
4. Blend parsnips, egg yolks and a third of the orange juice in a blender or food processor until smooth.
5. Add cream cheese and process until very thoroughly blended.
6. Beat in condensed milk, ginger, salt and vanilla essence until smooth.
7. Stir in almond meal and orange rind.
8. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into parsnip mixture.
9. Pour over crust in cupcake tin. Bake for 1 hour.
10. To make the glaze, blend marmalade and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. In a small bowl, mix the remaining third of the orange juice and cornstarch. Pour into the boiling marmalade and cook for 1 minute while stirring. Let cool slightly.
11. Remove mini cheesecakes from oven and cool to lukewarm.Top with warm glaze, covering them completely.
12. Cool completely to room temperature before chilling minimum 24 hours. Top with orange zest and serve.