Recipe: Lentil Salad with Parsnips, Carrots and Feta Cheese
A healthy and filling winter salad recipe
LENTIL SALAD WITH PARSNIPS, CARROTS AND FETA CHEESE
SERVES 4 to 6
The honey-mustard dressing on this salad perfectly complements the sweet parsnips
8 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into chunky batons
2 tbsp canola oil
⅔ cup green lentils
1 bay leaf
½ medium yellow onion
50g feta cheese
Salt and pepper
A few sprigs of parsley
FOR THE DRESSING
¼ canola oil
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp honey
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Slice parsnips into ½ cm rounds, taking care to be consistent with the thickness to ensure even cooking.
3. Toss the parsnips and carrots with the canola oil, salt and pepper. Place on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet.
4. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn over and roast for another 15 minutes, or until tender and golden. Place in a bowl.
5. Meanwhile, rinse the lentils several times, then place into a small saucepan with plenty of water, the bay leaf and the onion. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Allow to cool until warm.
6. To make the dressing, combine the canola oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard and garlic in a small bowl, and whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Drizzle the dressing over the hot carrots and parsnips. Add the lentils, feta cheese and parsley and mix gently until combined. Serve warm.