• Saucepan & spatula
• Food processor
• Ice cream maker
• Measuring cups, spoons & scale
• Baking tray & paper
FOR THE COOKIES
12 dates (½ cup), pitted
¼ cup melted butter
2 tsp coconut flour
6 tsp cocoa
½ tsp salt
FOR THE ICE CREAM
400ml coconut cream
½ vanilla pod
FOR THE CARAMEL
200ml coconut cream
A pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Blend the cookie ingredients together in a processor. If the mixture is too dry, add 1 to 2 tbsp date syrup or honey.
3. Spoon the cookie mixture onto the baking paper to make 16 evenly sized cookies. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, remove, allow to cool and place in freezer.
4. To make the ice cream: split the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Add the ice cream ingredients to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir well, remove from heat and allow to cool. Freeze the mixture in ice cream maker as instructed.
5. To make the caramel: add the sugar and water to a saucepan and bring to the boil. Continue to boil until the water evaporates and the sugar starts to turn golden brown. Keep an eye on it and as the caramel turns an even deeper brown, remove from the heat and immediately add the coconut cream and stir well.
6. Return the caramel to the heat and boil until the mixture reduces by about half and thickens. Add a pinch of salt and mix well. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
To serve: spread the caramel onto 8 cookies, spread the ice cream onto the remaining 8 cookies, then sandwich together.
Store in freezer keeping the caramel and ice cream cookie halves separate.