Recipe: Dos and Don'ts of Chocolate Lava Cakes
This is the perfect end to any Valentine’s Meal with an oozingly rich gooey centre that seduces the tastebuds. Here are some fool-proof tips to achieve the perfect melting middle…
100g unsalted butter, softened
3 egg yolks
1 whole egg
¼ cup caster sugar
¼ cup flour
Cocoa powder for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 230C.
2. Grease your ramekin or muffin tin generously with softened butter and unsweetened cocoa powder. Freeze until well set, about 15 minutes.
3. Melt the chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of steaming water, making sure that the bowl doesn’t touch the liquid.
4. Beat the egg yolks, whole egg and caster sugar together until almost double in size.
5. Slowly fold the chocolate into the egg mixture.
6. Once all the ingredients are incorporated, pour the mixture into your prepared tin or ramekins.
7. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes or until a dome forms on top.
8. Serve with ice cream.
Use chocolate with a 60 per cent or higher cocoa content
Use cocoa powder instead of all purpose flour when preparing your ramekin or muffin tin for a perfect finish
Beat the air out of your cake. Gently fold the mixture for optimum results
Chance it. Always use a timer