RECIPE: Cranberry Upside-Down Cake
8 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
2 cups sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp lemon zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs, room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup almond meal
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Grease an 8-inch springform cake pan with butter and line with parchment paper.
2. In a saucepan, heat the cranberries and ¾ cup sugar over a medium heat, just until the cranberries start to burst and the sugar melts. Pour the berries into the prepared pan.
3. To make the batter: cream together the butter, 1¼ cups sugar, lemon zest and vanilla until light and fluffy, about 5 to 8 minutes. Scrape down the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, scraping after each.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and almond meal. Add half the dry ingredients to the butter
mixture, mix to incorporate, then add half the buttermilk. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk. Mix just until smooth, don’t overdo it.
5. Spread the batter evenly over the berries. Place the pan on a baking sheet covered with foil, just in case the berry juices leak from the pan. Bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let the cake cool for about 30 minutes and then invert onto a platter.