Recipe: 3 Ways with Honey
Since ancient times, the use of honey between lovers has been associated with love, bliss and romance. Grab a jar from your cupboard and let the good times roll!
NOODLES WITH SPICY HONEY GRILLED CHICKEN
A sticky honey-soy concoction that makes an epic quick dinner
2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 cups broccoli florets
1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin slices
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 package Asian style noodles
2 spring onions
¼ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/3 cup rice vinegar
¼ cup honey
2 tbsp peanut butter
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/3 tbsp crushed red pepper flakes
¼ tsp ground ginger
1. In a large bowl, combine the rice vinegar, honey, peanut butter, soy sauce, sunflower oil, sesame oil, garlic, red pepper flakes and ground ginger.
2. Place 3 tablespoons of the sauce to a large Ziploc bag.
3. Reserve remaining sauce in bowl.
4. Add the chicken to the marinade in the Ziploc bag, turning to coat.
5. Close the bag securely and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning once.
6. Meanwhile, cook the broccoli, peppers and carrots in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes, or until crisp tender; drain and set aside.
7. Cook the noodles according to the package directions and then drain.
8. Add the noodles, cooked vegetables and spring onions to the sauce in the bowl and toss to coat. Set aside.
9. Remove the chicken from marinade; discard marinade.
10. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with Chinese five-spice powder.
11. Grill over medium coals or under the grill for 6 to 10 minutes or until done, turning once.
12. Arrange the chicken on top of the noodle mixture.
13 Sprinkle evenly with sesame seeds and serve.
PECAN HONEY BUN ROUND
A lovely addition to an afternoon tea spread
50g butter, melted
1/3 cup honey
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
½ cup milk
50g butter, chopped
A pinch of white sugar
8g instant dry yeast
2 ½ cups plain flour
2 eggs at room temperature
¼ cup caster sugar
1. Grease a 22cm round cake pan and line the base with baking parchment.
2. Combine the melted butter, honey and brown sugar in a bowl.
3. Pour mixture into the cake pan and sprinkle with pecans.
4. Place the milk in a microwave-safe bowl.
5. Microwave on high for one minute.
6. Add the chopped butter and pinch of white sugar to the hot milk.
7. Stir until the butter melts.
8. Add the yeast and stir to combine.
9. Place the flour, eggs and caster sugar in a food processor.
10. Add the milk mixture.
11. Process for 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture forms a ball.
12. Place dough on a floured surface. Knead for 2 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
13. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
14. Place, in a single layer, over the pecans.
15. Cover with clingfilm and allow to stand in a warm place for one hour or until doubled in size.
16. Preheat oven to 180C.
17. Bake the bun for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and hollow-sounding when tapped on top.
18. Allow to stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack lined with baking paper and serve.
Turnip and apple tart with cheese, honey and pomegranate
MAKES 1 TART
The honey isn’t added until the dish is cooked but it’s the drizzle of it at the end that truly makes this dish come alive
For the pastry
225g flour, plus extra for dusting
140g butter, chopped, plus extra for greasing
FOR THE TOPPING
100g cream cheese
100g blue cheese
1 egg yolk
20g icing sugar
20ml apple juice
1 tsp cornflour
2 small apples, quartered, cored, thinly sliced and mixed with 2 tbsp lemon juice
1 small turnip, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced
1-2 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp honey
2-3 tbsp pomegranate seeds
Mint, to garnish
1. To make the pastry, mix together the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt.
2. Pile onto a work surface and create a well in the middle.
3. Crack the egg into the well and add the butter around the edges.
4. Quickly knead together into a smooth dough.
5. Shape into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes in the fridge.
6. Heat the oven to 180C and grease a tart dish with butter.
7. Roll out the pastry onto a floured work surface and place in the prepared tart dish, creating an edge all the way around.
8. To make the topping, mix together the cream cheese, blue cheese, egg yolk, icing sugar, apple juice and the corn flour.
9. Spread thinly onto the tart base and top with the apple and turnip slices.
10. Finally, brush with the melted butter.
11. Bake for around 30 minutes.
12. Remove from the oven, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
13. Garnish with mint and serve warm.