Real Chocolate Cake
200g dark chocolate, chopped
200g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1½ cups self-raising flour
½ cup cream
FOR THE FUDGE FROSTING
150g butter, softened
1 cup icing sugar (approx.), sifted
1. Preheat oven to 170C.
2. Melt chocolate and put aside to cool slightly.
Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy, then add eggs, one at a time while beating, and finally the melted chocolate and cream.
3. Fold in the flour, stirring gently until smooth.
4. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth the cake’s surface. Bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. It could take from 45 minutes up to about 80, depending on the diameter of your tin.
5. For the frosting, melt the chocolate then leave to cool slightly. Whip up the butter until fluffy, then start adding the icing sugar. When combined, add the cooled melted chocolate gradually until smooth. Add more icing sugar if the mixture is too loose.
6. Using a butter knife and a cup with very hot water (dip and dry off to assist spreading as the frosting starts to stick to the knife rather than the cake) smooth on the frosting.
If you struggle to get your frosting super smooth, try using baking paper sprayed with canola oil (or greased with another flavourless oil). Place it over the frosted cake and then flatten and smear gently with your fingers all over. When you remove the sheet, the frosting should be glossy and smooth.