This Ramadan we have teamed up with Better Life to bring you a our favourite iftar recipes from Dalia Dogmoch Soubra’s cookbook, Dalia Food, Love and Life by Dalia’s Kitchen...
Pomegranate & Freekeh Risotto
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
2 cups freekeh
2 tbsp olive oil, plus more for garnish
1 onion, finely chopped
2-3 cups vegetable stock
2 tbsp butter
¼ cup pomegranate molasses
Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
½ cup pomegranate seeds
1. Begin by cleaning the freekeh. Inspect it to make sure that there are no small stones or other debris. Rinse it thoroughly in a large bowl, then cover with warm water and soak it for 45 minutes. Remove any floating grains. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, for approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
3. Add the freekeh and cook, stirring, until coated with oil, then de-glaze with a little stock.
4. Continue adding a little stock at a time, repeating the process until the freekeh is cooked, for about 15 to 20 minutes or so.
5. Remove from the heat, add the butter, pomegranate molasses and season with salt and pepper. Stir well.
6. Drizzle with a little oil, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds to serve.