This Ramadan we have teamed up with Better Life to bring you a our favourite iftar recipes from Dalia Dogmoch Soubra’s cookbook, Dalia Food, Love and Life by Dalia’s Kitchen...
Olive & Date Muffins with Pan Fried Halloumi
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 20 minutes
2/3 cups flour
½ cup oats
1tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp date syrup
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp chopped green olives
2 tbsp butter
18 oz halloumi cheese, cut into cubes
8 cherry tomatoes
Additional butter or honey (optional)
Bamboo sticks (if you are making skewers)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine the eggs, date syrup and oil. Add the olives and mix well.
4. Add the flour mixture, combine well, being careful not to over mix.
5. Line a cake tin on muffin tray with parchment or muffin paper and fill the cups to the top.
6. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
7. Heat the butter in a large sauté pan over a medium-high heat. Working in batches if needed, sauté the cheese until it is golden brown on all sides, and the tomatoes until they soften just a little. Serve with butter and honey on the side.