Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex will not visit Queen Elizabeth II at Sandringham House this Christmas, reports have claimed.
Instead, the British royals will apparently stay at home in Windsor or travel abroad to be with Meghan’s mum, Doria Ragland, with a source telling Britain's The Sun newspaper the couple “needed to recharge their batteries”.
Harry and Meghan, who welcomed six-month-old son Archie earlier this year, are taking a six-week break from royal duties after Sunday, when Harry attends a Royal Albert Hall event.
While it was initially thought they would spend Thanksgiving in the U.S. with Doria and return for Christmas with Harry's family, they have reportedly opted for a more subdued affair.
A royal source said: “They need some time away to recharge and decide their plans for next year.” It will be a break from the norm for the couple, who have celebrated with the British monarch and Harry's grandparents at Christmas for the past two years.
Royal biographer Ingrid Seward said: “Christmas at Sandringham can be quite stressful so perhaps they don’t want to go with Archie at such a young age.
“The Queen might be a little hurt but she’s far too gracious to ever let it show or be known.”
The Duke and Duchess have had a difficult year, and recently launched two legal cases against U.K. tabloid newspapers, with Harry accusing them of "bullying" his wife.
Former Suits actress Meghan is suing the Mail on Sunday after alleging the paper unlawfully published a private letter to her father, while Prince Harry has filed papers against the owners of The Sun, the defunct News of the World, and the Daily Mirror, in relation to alleged phone-hacking.