FOR THE BASIC DASHI STOCK
6cm x 4cm dried kelp (konbu)
50g dried bonito flakes
7 cups water
FOR THE SOUP
400ml dashi stock
40g miso paste
10g dried seaweed
40g tofu, but into bite-sized pieces
1. Wipe the kelp with a damp cloth and then put it into a saucepan with the water.
2. Start bringing to the boil uncovered and just before the water comes to a boil, remove and discard the kelp.
3. Sprinkle in the bonito flakes and remove the saucepan from the heat.
4. As soon as the bonito flakes start to sink, strain the stock and discard the bonito flakes.
5. To make the miso soup: bring the stock to a boil, add miso paste and stir. Serve with seaweed and tofu