Lindsay Lohan Court Case Delayed
Lindsay Lohan failed to appear in court in New York on 7 January.
The 26-year-old actress - who has been partying in London in recent weeks - was due to find out at the arraignment hearing whether prosecutors plan to pursue misdemeanour assault charges against her in connection with a fight at a Manhattan nightclub last November.
But the troubled starlet's lawyer Mark Heller told reporters leaving the courthouse today: "It may very well be this case does not move forward...ironically a psychic fortune teller has predicted the year 2013 will be an extremely lucky year for Lindsay Lohan," after prosecutors delayed proceedings and the Manhattan District Attorney's Office ruled that the investigation will continue.
Lindsay was accused of punching fortuneteller Tiffany Mitchell at the Avenue Lounge in the early hours on November 29 in an apparent row over The Wanted hunk Max George, but her lawyer still expects the charges will be dropped.
According to USMagazine.com, he said the defence team has drawn up some "very credible evidence and testimony" that would weaken Mitchell's case, including a statement from a witness that Lindsay "did absolutely nothing wrong [and] had made no contact with the alleged victim."
He also joked about the fortune-teller's skills, saying: "From my understanding, Lindsay was being approached by a fortune teller who sought to provide a reading to her and she politely said 'I don't want to participate' and declined. You would think if [Mitchell] was a fortune teller, she would have been able to see this happening in advance. But obviously her skills weren't that honed."
Lohan will not be required to appear in court for the assault case until formal papers have been filed but she is due back in the courtroom for a probation violation hearing next Tuesday (15 January) after her probation was revoked last month because she allegedly lied to police about being the driver of her car when it crashed in June.