Lamb with Spring Vegetables and Herb Dressing
720g French trimmed lamb rack
720g lamb shoulder
For the braised lamb shoulder
100g large carrots
100g white onion
4 bay leaves
10g black peppercorns
50g tomato paste
2l veal jus
For the garnish
30g green baby courgettes
20g baby carrots
20g baby leeks
For the sauce
A large glass of vino
For the herb dressing
1. Dice all the vegetables roughly and roast in a large pan with olive oil until the vegetables are slightly coloured. Next, add the tomato paste and cook for a further 5 minutes and set aside.
2. Sear the lamb shoulder and add it to the roasted vegetables and tomato paste mixture. Next add the veal jus and herbs and cook on 100 degrees for nine hours
3. Pan sear the lamb rack so that it is coloured all around, place in oven-proof dish and cook in a pre-heated oven on 190C until you reach desired cooking point. This will be approximately 10 minutes for medium rare, 14 minutes for medium and 20 minutes for well done.
4. For the garnish, cook the vegetables in salted boiling water until tender, then refresh in iced water. When you serve your dish, re-heat the vegetables in a pan with a little olive oil until they are slightly coloured, then place vegetables onto some kitchen paper to remove any excess oil.
5. To prepare the sauce, reduce a large glass of vino in a saucepan by two thirds. Take a litre of the liquid from the lamb shoulder saucepan and add to the reduced vino. Slowly reduce again until you have a thicker consistency that will coat the back of a spoon.
6. To make the herb dressing, take the parsley and mint and put into a food processor with quarter of a garlic clove. Add the olive oil and start to blend. Slowly add more olive oil if required until a dressing consistency is achieved.
7. Arrange the cooked lamb and vegetables onto a plate, pour the sauce generously over both, then drizzle the dressing over to finish. Serve immediately.
The younger the lamb, the paler it is, and the less cooking time it needs.
Info: The Ivy, Emirates Towers, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.theivy.ae.