iPhone 6 - What's All the Fuss About?
Apple’s finally launched its new must-have goodies. Before the announcement was made, fans were camping outside its branches around the world, with queues appearing at the technology giant’s New York store a whopping two weeks ahead of the official announcement! The big change everyone’s talking about is the dramatic increase in size in the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, the launch of the new watch and Justin Timberlake’s weird Apple ad. Here are all the deets…
iPhone 6/iPhone 6 Plus
With the iPhone 6 and the larger iPhone 6 Plus, Apple has increased the phones’ screen size by 0.7in and 1.5in respectively, resulting in new hard-wearing 4.7in and 5.5in displays.
• The design has also been revamped, with the flat back and sides of old replaced with a futuristic rounded shell. They come in gold, silver or “space grey”.
• Internally, the iPhones have had an upgrade too, and now boast faster A8 chip processors, an improved 8MP camera and longer battery life, holding an extra four hours’ charge.
• Storage sizes are 16GB, 64GB and 128GB.
• It can be used to track weight loss and personal fitness with its built-in fitness app.
• Now for the truly eye-watering bit: iPhone 6 prices start from Dhs2,599 for a 16GB device, Dhs2,999 for 64GB and Dhs3,399 for a 128GB device; the iPhone 6 Plus costs Dhs2,999 (16GB), Dhs3,399 (64GB) and Dhs3,799 (128GB) respectively.
• Wearer will need to own an iPhone, making for a costly experience. The Apple Watch will retail for Dhs1,200.
• Emails can be read on the watch face.
• Calls to the iPhone can be routed to the watch, so you can answer a call without getting your phone out, though you might look a bit like an FBI agent while talking into your wrist.
• A variety of straps and faces make it possible to personalise the watch.
• The phone has its own accelerometer and heart-rate tracker to complement the fitness app.
• It can be used to make wireless payments, so wearers won’t always need to fish out a bank card.
Justin: Apple’s Handyman!
Justin Timberlake and funnyman Jimmy Fallon star in the iPhone campaign ad, but instead of featuring their faces, the tech giant filmed only their hands as they performed an a-cappella version of the theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey. An odd call when you’ve hired one of the world’s hottest men for your ad!
INFO: Apple have confirmed via their website in the UAE (store.apple.com/ae) that residents here can order the new iPhone 6 from 27 Sep; it will also be available at Apple resellers, including Virgin Megastores. You’ll have to act fast if you want one of the prized phones, however, as they’re tipped to become the must-have accessories of the year. No wonder Justin Timberlake was so keen to get his hands on them!