Ilayada (Banana Leaf Pancakes)
FOR THE DOUGH
1½ cup rice flour 1 cup water (plus as required for kneading)
¼ tsp salt
4 to 5 banana leaves cut into rectangles or squares
FOR THE FILLING
½ cup shredded coconut
2 to 3 pieces jaggery, grated
1. Make the dough by mixing the rice flour, salt and water together.
2. Make the filling by combining the coconut and grated jaggery.
3. Make lime-sized balls from the dough and spread them onto the banana leaves to form thin pancakes.
4. Spoon a little of the filling onto the middle of each pancakes and then fold them over.
5. On a heated pan or iron skillet roast the ilayada on both sides until cooked and caramelised. Serve hot with tea. Chai complements ilayada perfectly.