Gourmet Inspiration April
The Social Kitchen Experiment
For all you lazy hosts out there, prick up your ears, for this latest trend in home entertaining is designed just for you. The kitchen, as the heart of the home has now become a living and dining space combined, the perfect informal spot to gather when entertaining, allowing you to cook and host simultaneously. Kitchen manufacturers have caught onto this and are now designing culinary spaces to accommodate diners, guests and the chef themselves. So it stands to reason that this year’s most popular new fad is the ‘come-and-cook’ party, where your guests can pitch in by chopping the veggies, assembling a fruit platter or mixing cocktails. Getting them involved alleviates all that performance pressure, and keeps the mood fun and friendly. There’s no prescription here, so have fun; but for the sake of edible results keep the tasks preparation-based, and do the cooking and seasoning yourself.
INFO: Social kitchen concept by Kelly Hoppen, www.smallbone.co.uk.
5 tips for al fresco entertaining
April is the last month to enjoy your garden, here’s how...
1. If you live up high; transform your terrace with potted plants that will beautifully frame your dining table.
2. For uncovered garden tables, a wooden pergola will provide both shade and setting, and looks great covered in vines or creepers.
3. For all outdoor spaces, use a length of beautiful bright fabric draped over an outdoor seating area that can follow the colour scheme of your table.
4. If you’re tired of the standard barbeque equipment, hire the experts to install a permanent brick version or your very own clay pizza oven in the garden.
5. Just because you’re eating outdoors doesn’t mean you should rough it. Presentation is key – use a printed tablecloth, your best plates and cutlery, suspend a chandelier over the whole thing and impress your guests.
The Colours of the Season
Forget florals, taupe and an all-white minimalism, this season’s shades are all about the primaries. Go bold with sunny yellow, cherry or sea green for a table that literally springs to life.
INFO: Tableware available at West Elm, Dubai Mall, www.westelm.ae.
Pick up the latest issue of Harper’s Bazaar Interiors for an essential guide to surviving the spring season in style
Rue Kothari is the Editor of Harper’s Bazaar Interiors. Follow her on Twitter @RueKothari.