Goan Fish Curry
500g fish cubes (preferably basa fish or any white, flakey fish)
100ml tamarind water
100ml coconut milk
3 chillies, slit
Salt, to taste
100g onions, chopped 100g tomatoes, chopped 50ml oil
50g kokum (dry fruit available at Indian supermarkets)
FOR THE PASTE
20g cumin seeds
5g turmeric powder
30g red chillies, whole
1. Marinate the fish cubes with turmeric and salt.
2. Mix the cumin seeds, turmeric powder, ginger and chillies together and grind to a fine paste.
3. In a hot pan add the oil, onions and tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the paste, fish cubes, coconut milk, salt and tamarind water to the pot.
5. Cook the fish through for about 10 minutes, finish with kokum and chillies and serve with steamed rice.