Watching what you eat doesn’t mean you’re immune to the odd biscuit craving – but it can be satisfied without loading up on white flour. These sweet treats from Dubai’s gluten free bakery, Sweet Connection (www.sweetconnectiondubai.com), are a healthier alternative for when a piece of fruit just won’t do...
Gluten Free Sablés with Apricot Jam
200g unsalted butter
100g icing sugar
1tsp orange zest
1 ½ cups rice flour
½ cup tapioca starch
¼ tsp xanthan gum
¼ tsp baking soda
1. Begin by combining your rice flour, tapioca starch, xanthan gum and baking soda in a bowl and setting to one side.
2. Cream the butter and sugar well until thoroughly incorporated, then add your eggs, one at a time, being sure to mix them in well.
3. Fold in your orange zest and the flour mixture and work until completely combined.Spoon the cookie mixture onto a large piece of cling film, wrap firmly and refrigerate for at least an hour.
4. Once fully chilled, sprinkle your dough with rice flour and roll out on a clean surface.
5. Use a small rounded cookie cutter to cut out your biscuits, arrange them on a greased baking tray and place in the oven, preheated to 180˚C, for eight to ten minutes until slightly golden.
6. Transfer your biscuits to a wire rack to cool, then divide into two batches.
7. Spoon some apricot jam onto half of the cookies, using the other half to form a sandwich, then sprinkle with icing sugar.
8. The cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to a week or can be frozen for up to two months.