Healthy Recipe: Four Flat Belly Dishes
Seafood is packed with ab-friendly protein. This slows digestion and prevents you from snacking.
1 clove garlic, crushed
6 shallots, finely diced
1 small onion, sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
80ml red wine
40ml vegetable stock
8 large scallops
Salt and pepper
1. Boil the potatoes in salt water. Drain, mash and add sautéed soft blended garlic.
2. Sauté the shallots and onions in a little oil, add red wine and reduce.
3. Add the vegetable stock and reduce to a syrup. Strain the sauce and keep hot.
4. Season the scallops and fry with a little olive oil until medium done.
5. Place the potato on the plate, top with scallop and garnish with tomato concasse and fresh basil.
Berries are packed with fibre. Chowing down on nature’s sweets is a great way to help your digestion.
200ml low-fat milk
2 shots espresso coffee
50g low-fat plain yogurt
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp cinnamon
80g mixed berries (raspberries, strawberries and blackberries)
1. Place all the above with a cup of ice in a blender and whizz.
2. Serve with a dash of cocoa powder.
Researchers found that people who ate a broth-based soup were more likely to get a slim tum than ones who ate snack foods that had the same amount of calories.
1 onion, sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
200g butternut squash, peeled, seeded and dice
120ml vegetable stock
60ml low-fat milk
3 cloves garlic
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
chopped chives or spring onions
1. Sauté the onion in some olive oil, add the butternut squash and the vegetable stock.
2. Simmer the butternut until soft and add the milk, season and simmer for another 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
4. Add the sliced sweet potatoes and simmer until soft.
5. Garnish with chopped spring onions or chives.
Egg White Omelette
Daniel has ditched the yolks for this recipe, but eating egg has to be one of the best ways to keep your hands out of the cookie jar. The protein in egg makes you feel full.
½ white onion, chopped
6 button mushrooms
6 egg whites
60g low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
10g spinach leaves
chopped chives or spring onions
1. In a non-stick pan, sauté the chopped onion in a little olive oil and cook for a minute.
2. Add the mushrooms sliced, cook and add the egg whites.
3. When ready, add the feta and spinach and fold over.
4. Season and serve with some chopped chives and tomatoes for garnish.
The dish on Daniel…
TV chef Daniel Green fought obesity when he was younger and has taken what he’s learnt to help others ditch the kg
I USED TO BE BIG “When I was 17, I had a waist of 38 inches. It was then I realised I can’t get any bigger. I became conscious of the difference between being overweight and borderline obese.”
I HAVE A GO-TO FOOD “Pomegranate seeds are a great source of antioxidants and have great nutritional benefits”.
I’M ALWAYS PREPARED “Always have a good selection of ingredients at home. If you have the right things in your fridge you won’t go for the wrong foods”.
MY SECRET WEAPON IS... “Having a non-stick pan allows you to cook whatever you desire without the need for oil or butter. Oils and fats are the main triggers to weight gain so staying away from that as much as you can is the first goal.”
I WANT PEOPLE TO BE CONFIDENT COOKS “Try out a new ingredient while cooking a favorite dish. For example, white miso paste can be cooked with honey, ginger or even garlic, and you can wok fry it with shrimp or salmon. You’ve got a lot of flavour and you won’t have to worry about calories!”
Daniel has created a host of Eat Well, Feel Well dishes that can be found at Dusit Thani Sheikh Zayed Road and Dusit Residences Dubai Marina. “The guests won’t notice they are having the healthier version,” says Daniel. See dusitthanidubai.dusit.com.