In a season awash with tricky trends, Sasha Sarokin of Net-a-Porter.com pinpoints the key investment pieces for the season, the best items to pack for a holiday and a sneak peek into her very own getaway essentials...
What would you pinpoint as the three major fashion trends for summer dressing this year?
Streetwear is big for SS14 – sweatshirts, track pants, trainers and backpacks are everywhere as seen at Marc Jacobs, Christopher Kane, Erdem and Gucci. The global traveler trend is also key. Tribal influences were embraced by everyone from Givenchy to Alexander McQueen. Don’t forget pleats! Proenza Schouler’s beautiful collection exemplified this trend.
What are your tips for packing effectively for a summer holiday?
I travel a lot for my job so I’ve become a seasoned packer. I always take a carry on and never leave home without Anya Hindmarch’s in flight neon patent leather-trimmed travel case – it even has separate compartments for ‘take off’ and ‘touch down.’ I use Ilia’s tinted lip conditioner in Nobody’s Baby, perfect for adding a subtle slick of colour when it’s most needed and I always pack a lightweight scarf – they’re so useful in air conditioned spaces and during balmy evenings. I like Chan Luu for simplicity and Gucci for statement styles.
What element is needed to take a summer outfit from laid-back to wow-factor?
Fabulous jewellery – it’s my ultimate investment and one of my current favourite brands is Arme De L’Amour. The finger bracelets and arm cuffs are designed to be stacked and layered for an edgy finish to your holiday look and will look great with a tan.
What would you name as the top 5 essential pieces to shop at Net-a-Porter.com for a summer holiday wardrobe and why?
1) A bikini – and it has to be strapless to prevent tan lines. I like ERES’s ‘Les Essentiels’ range for a classic black bandeau and Dolce & Gabbana for something fabulous.
2) Le Specs’s sunglasses inject a bit of fun into an outfit.
3) A wide-brimmed hat; Sensi Studio’s Lady Ibiza toquilla straw sunhat looks chic, it shades my face and shoulders from the sun.
4) Holiday flats. The gold metallic leather lightning bolt sling-backs from Ancient Greek Sandals are on my wish list.
5) You can’t go wrong with a classic white shirt. It can add a luxe touch to a casual outfit and looks great worn over swimwear paired with a statement necklace. I’ll be wearing the Joseph Oxford version, which is exclusive to NET-A-PORTER.COM.
Tell us your opinions on the summer collection – which designers delivered standout collections and why do you love them?
For ready-to-wear, it was all about pretty pastels. Christopher Kane, Burberry and Rochas all embraced soft ice-cream shades for Spring/Summer 14. A standout collection for me was Sacai - I love the sporty elements and spliced layers - I can’t get enough of this season’s collection.
Tell us about the exclusive designer collaborations that NET-A-PORTER.COM have in store for us this season.
We have an exciting capsule collection by Chloé launching this month, which includes signature pieces from the house, including the best-selling Baylee bag in an exclusive colorway. We also have collections by New York label Adam Lippes, Preen by Thornton Bregazzi, Roland Mouret and Roksanda Ilincic which are all exclusive to NET-A-PORTER.COM.
You have said before how you think street style is inspiring. How do you think people will be interpreting the catwalk trends for the street this season?
Streetwear is a key trend that everyone has embraced - bombers, slogan t-shirts, sweatshirts and trainers are everywhere this season!
Are you heading anywhere exciting this summer for a holiday yourself?
This summer I’m looking forward to heading to Vietnam for a well-earned break!
What are some of the holiday essentials that you’ll be packing for your trip?
- A pair of pool slides are a must-have this summer - my favourites are Marni’s metallic leather sandals which feature a moulded insole for extra all-day comfort.
- Moncrief’s lizard-effect leather detachable-case travel trolley has been one of my greatest investments.
- A breezy kaftan or flowing maxi-dress are summer wardrobe essentials – Miguelina’s styles are perfect for pool-side chic.
- A beautiful wide-brimmed sun hat – Lanvin’s colour-block design will keep you cool, as well as stylish in the heat.