One of my favourite dishes simply has to be quiche. Something about the texture of the creamy centre with the comfort of vegetables ending with the chewy yet flakey crust makes me feel so good. My love for this egg-based recipe stems from my time living in Barcelona –they seem to mix eggs with any time of the day! It was served hot or cold, as a main or as an appetizer, and you can add whatever key ingredients you like – from a sophisticated truffle and Parmesan quiche to a leftover shredded chicken with Cheddar. Here’s my cheese and veg version, but feel free to experiment…”
Makes 1 (that will serve 4)
1 thick, sheet puff or short crust pastry (use thawed ready-made pastry)
2 green asparagus stalks, chopped
½ cup white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 cup sweet organic corn or baby corn, chopped
¼ cup yellow onion or green onion
1 cup cooking cream or milk
½ tsp ground nutmeg powder
1½ tbsp all purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
¾ cup low-fat mozzarella, shredded
¼ cup low-fat cheddar, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Roll out the puff pastry and place into a flour-dusted, 10-inch pie pan, about 1½ inch high. Press the dough firmly into the pan with the back of a fork and put in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
3. In a large pan, drizzle olive oil over a medium heat with a touch of butter, then sauté the asparagus, mushrooms, corn and onion for 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and stir continuously over a medium heat for 2 minutes. 5. Lower the heat and add the mozzarella cheese. Stir well over a low heat until the cheese melts.
5. Pour the mixture into the crusted pie pan and sprinkle Cheddar cheese on top. Use a fork to swirl the cheese lightly into the mixture.
6. Place in the oven on lower middle rack and bake for about 25 to 30 minutes.
7. Remove the pie pan from the oven and allow to cool on counter for at least 15 to 20 minutes before cutting into slices and serving with salad.
For more recipes, tips and foodie information check out www.cookingwithamanicure.com
Be in Ahlan! Qatar
Share your best recipe with us and you could appear here! Email your clearly written recipe (in metric), plus a photo of you and your dish to AhlanQatarEditor@ITP.com. The best recipes will be featured.