A Mall Even Bigger Than The Dubai Mall Is On Its Way
The Dubai Mall is set to have some competition!
Dubai is making its shopping game stronger than ever, thanks to Deira Mall. It's set to have 4.5 million square feet of leasable shopping space, which will make it the biggest mall in the Middle East. Wow!
The Nakheel project is currently underway and scheduled to open in 2021 at Deira Islands. The mall will boast a Gross Leasable Area (GLA) of 4.5 million sq. ft. - that means any space that can be rented out, so shops and restaurants - surpassing the Dubai Mall, which has a GLA of 3.77 million sq. ft. However, The Dubai Mall would still be the biggest in terms of total area.
It is expected to house over 1,000 restaurants, cafes, shopping and entertainment outlets, and will designed with a retractable glass roof that would allow open-air shopping experience in winters.
Construction is expected to start in the next month.
So where is the biggest mall in the world?
If you go by Gross Leasable Area, it currently stands at:
- South China Mall in Dongguan, China - 7.1 million sq. ft
- SM Tianjin in Tianjin, China - 5.8 million sq. ft
- Golden Resources Mall in Beijing, China - 6 million sq. ft
- SM City North Edsa in Quezon City, Philippines - 5.4 million sq. ft
- 1 Utama in Damansara, Malaysia - 5.2 million sq. ft