Dover Sole with Spring Vegetables and Pesto Sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 small white onion, chopped
50g fresh peas, blanched
50g mange tout, blanched
50g green beans, blanched
50g broad beans, blanched
2 small courgettes and their flowers
100g cooked borlotti or cannellini beans
Dover sole, each about 450g, heads and skin removed, and trimmed
100g pesto (basil oil dressing)
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1cm dice, save the trimmings. Put into a pan of salted water, bring to the boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook until almost tender.
2. In a separate pan, heat a tbsp of olive oil, add the onion and cook gently for about 5 minutes, without allowing them to colour. Add the potato trimmings. Cook for a couple of minutes. Add enough water to cover and cook until the potato breaks up. Put the mixture into a blender and blitz until you have a thick sauce.
3. Slice the mangetout, the courgettes and the green beans. Add the potato dice and the peas.
Heat a large non-stick pan and add some vegetable oil. Season the fish and put it into the pan. Cook gently for about 4 to 5 minutes on one side until golden, then turn.
4. While the fish are cooking, put the mixed vegetables into a saucepan, add the potato sauce and warm everything up. Season to taste.
5. Heat the borlotti or cannellini beans and season.
6. Spoon the vegetable mixture into the centre of each plates. Spoon the beans around the vegetables. Arrange the courgette flowers next to the beans. Place the fish on top of the vegetables, and drizzle the pesto around the plate.