Crab and Lentil Soup with Crab Tikki
500g masoor daal
250g toover daal
200g moong daal
1 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
600ml coconut milk
300g gitts sambar mix
3 tsp corn oil
10g mustard seeds
30g curry leaves
100g sliced red onion
200g diced tomatoes
450g jumbo crab meat
30g chopped coriander leaves
1. Wash and soak the daal for 20 minutes before cooking.
2. Cook the daal with the turmeric powder mixed with a little salt until mashed together.
3. Add the gitts sambar mix along with the coconut milk.
4. Temper the mustard seeds and curry leaves, sliced onions, tomatoes and add in to the soup. 5 Boil for another
5. minutes, then blend the soup with a hand blender and pass through a sieve to remove any lumps.
6. Place the crab meat in a serving bowl and pour the hot soup on to it.
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 sprig chopped curry leaves
1 chopped small red onion
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1 tsp finely chopped ginger
1 tsp chopped green chilli
150g crab meat
200g potato boiled and grated
20g fresh coriander leaves
½ tsp chaat masala
100g bread crumbs (white)
2 eggs lightly whisked
Salt to taste
3l frying oil
1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
2. When the seeds begin to splutter, add the curry leaves and chopped onion and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
3. Mix the turmeric, chilli powder and the onion mixture into a paste, then add the chopped garlic, ginger and green chilli to the pan and sauté briefly.
4. Add the red chilli powder and turmeric powder paste and sauté for one minute.
5. Add the crab meat and stir-fry until all the moisture has evaporated, then stir in the grated potato.
6. Season with the chaat masala and some salt, then leave to cool.
7. Put the eggs in one bowl and the bread crumbs in another.
8. Shape the crab mixture into 4 round patties, dip them in the egg and coat them in the crumbs.
9. Keep aside for frying.
10. When the soup’s ready, deep fry the crab tikki until golden brown and serve along side.
INFO: This recipe was provided courtesy of Indego by Vineet, open 7pm to midnight, Thursdays until 1am, Grosvenor House, Lobby Level, Tower One, 04 399 8888, ghresbook@lrm-gh-dubai, www.grosvenorhouse-dubai.com.