1½ cups water
½ cup butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
A pinch salt
4 to 5 eggs
Oil, for frying
1. Boil the water, butter, salt, sugar and vanilla.
2. Add the flour and remove from the heat. Combine the mixture and return to the heat. 3. Continue working the mixture until all the flour is incorporated and the dough forms a ball. Transfer the dough into the bowl of a standing mixer and allow to cool for 3 or 4 minutes.
4. With the mixer on the lowest speed add the eggs, one at a time, making sure the first egg is completely incorporated before continuing. Once all the eggs have been added and the mixture is smooth put the dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
5. Heat 4 to 5 inches oil in a saucepan. Holding the pastry bag a few inches above the oil, squeeze out the batter, snipping off 4-inch lengths with a knife or kitchen shears. Fry, flipping once, until deep golden brown all over, about 4 minutes.
6. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the churros to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain the excess oil.
7. Roll the churros in confectioners’ sugar and cinnamon.
8. Serve immediately with chocolate dipping sauce.