Toshi, in the Grand Millennium Hotel, is keeping it interesting with themed nights for every day of the week. The focus is Asian with cooking styles ranging from barbeque to steam pot. Chef Wittaya shares his recipe for one of Asia’s most notable and much-loved dishes, Singapore-style chilli crab. Bibs at the ready!
500g king crab legs
50ml cooking oil
50g white onion
50g black mushroom
30g white mushroom
30g spring onion
30g Chinese celery
1 cup chicken stock
For The Chilli Sauce
10 large red chillis, de-seeded
5 bird’s eye chillis
30g coriander root
40g pickled soya bean paste (tau cheo)
30ml chilli sauce
15ml sesame oil
5g pepper powder
1. To prepare, chop the vegetables evenly and the crab legs into 3cm to 4cm pieces and set on the side.
2. To make the chilli sauce, blend all ingredients until smooth and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat and stir-fry garlic, ginger and onion until fragrant.
4. Sauté the crab legs with the chilli sauce and toss until they are cooked through.
5. Add egg, chicken stock (or hot water) and stir until set.
6. Add all the vegetables and sauté together.