Braised Beetroot with Goats Cheese and Walnut Biscuit
1 pack of baby beets (leaves removed and kept)
100ml white vinegar
1 tbspn crushed coriander seed
1 tsp crushed white peppercorns
5 star anise
5 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
500g goat’s cheese
100ml cider vinegar
105g egg white
50g isomalt (sugar replacement)
100g grated walnut
10ml white vinegar
200 ml milk
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of castor sugar
1. Make the stock with all ingredients and infuse for 30 minutes.
2. Add beetroot and cook slowly until the point of a knife goes all the way through, but not too easily.
3. Leave beetroot to cool in the stock.
1. Remove rind from goats cheese and blend in a food processor with the vinegar.
2. Place in a piping bag and keep at room temperature until needed.
1. Beat the egg until fluffy with the salt and vinegar, add sugar and isomalt and beat on full speed until firm.
2. Fold in the walnut and spread about 2ml thick on baking parchment.
3. Place on a tray in an oven at 90C until dry.
Tightly cling film a plate, lightly rub some olive oil on the film and sprinkle with salt.
Please the beetroot leaves evenly on the plate, and microwave for three minutes.
1. Bring the milk to the boil together with the walnuts, cook slowly for 3 minutes, remove and leave to cool.
2. Remove skins and place on a metal tray, lightly sprinkle equal amounts of salt and sugar to cover the walnuts.
3. Place either at the bottom of the grill or in a low oven checking every few minutes until they are nicely golden and caramelised.
4. Remove and cool.
INFO: This recipe was provided courtesy of Table 9 by Nick and Scott
Table 9 by Nick and Scott, Hilton Dubai Creek, 04 227 1111, www.hilton.com. For more info on the Table 9 cooking school, contact firstname.lastname@example.org