As beach season rolls around again, it’s time to face the reality that hiding indoors over the summer with a tub of ice cream and your sofa for a best friend has probably done nothing for your figure. But while you can hide a bit of weight gain with some clever swimwear (thank you, stomach-support), there is no getting away from the fact that it’s much harder to hide the dreaded orange peel skin caused by cellulite. Whether you’re a larger lady or a skinny Minnie, those dastardly dimples can be a real problem. And while there is unfortunately no miracle cure for those lumps and bumps on your bottom and thighs, there are a few ways you can help reduce cellulite, tone up, and prevent more of the same from developing. So back away from that box set and get beach ready with our invincible bump-busting action plan
Although even the slimmest of women still get cellulite, some of the causes of the dreaded orange peel look can be found in our food, explains nutrition and health expert Dr. Ghida Arnaout, Clinical Dietician with Live’ly (lively.ae). According to Arnaout, the best way to banish the bumps is to:
● Stock up on your vitamins Having a diet full of B vitamins, as well as vitamins C and E will rehydrate cells and connective tissue - making your cellulite less visible. Get these magical vitamins from oranges, carrots, sunflower seeds and nuts.
● Stop smoking Ditching the ciggies will help rid your body of the harmful toxins which damage connective tissue (undoing all the good those veggies did and adding to your cellulite woes).
● Drink water It’s great for your skin, and it keeps you hydrated and alert.
● Limit caffeine and alcohol Yes, we know it’s no fun, but your thighs will thank you for it.
● Avoid fatty foods As well as anything fried or processed, plus sweets and junk food (yes, that does include that 3am kebab).
● Limit your sodium intake Keep it to 2.3g daily (this is just one tsp of salt), as it leads to fluid retention that will worsen your cellulite. Watch out for sodium in ketchup, pickles and canned foods.
The natural approach
Women tend to have a shortage of connective tissue, which causes excess fat to bulge out toward the skin’s surface in the form of cellulite (lucky us). But, according to natural health and holistic living writer Jane Alexander, whose book The Natural Year is available now on Kindle, we can improve the appearance of cellulite if we just clean up our act. In addition to eating healthily and taking exercise, Alexander is an advocate of manual lymphatic drainage (MLD). “The one form of natural therapy that does have an effect on cellulite (when combined with diet and exercise) is MLD,” she says. “This gently stimulates the lymph and is pretty amazing generally; it can also help to ease away scarring and stretch marks. A good MLD massage therapist will teach you how to do the massage yourself. Regular skin brushing - with a natural bristle brush always moving towards the heart - can also get results.”
Lymphatic drainage near you:
● Dubai Herbal & Treatment Centre’s soothing Manual Lymphatic Drainage massage. Dhs350 for one session. Call (04) 335 1200.
● Try a luxurious spa experience at The Talise Spa. The Lymphatic Drainage Massage is Dhs495 for 60 minutes. Phone (04) 366 6818.
The clinical cures
If hitting the gym and giving up pizza fills you with dread, you can always try a clinical cure for cellulite. Our top treatment is Ultrasound Cavitation, which is the most exciting new treatment for embedded cellulite. A painless ultrasound is passed over your cellulite-sodden area and those nasty fat cells are bombarded with high levels of energy. Result? Body fat cells absorb the energy, and the fat cell structure basically ‘gives up’, breaking down into a liquid which the body naturally eliminates. Easy peasy. Get it at Rebecca Treston Aesthetics, Dhs2,000 per session, euromedclinicdubai.com
Or, if you fancy getting handy with a ray gun (sort of) there’s a new DIY way to zap your own thighs. It’s called TriPollar POSE, and it’s a gadget that aims to heat the skin from the inside, causing fat to liquefy and disperse. It’s a cool Dhs2,025 but you can get instantly zap-happy! Order it online at stopage. com
Alternatively, check out VelaSmooth Pro, Dhs5,500 for eight sessions. This treatment combines radio frequency (RF) energies with mechanical rollers and vacuum suction to manipulate the fat tissue layer that contributes to cellulite. Two to six sessions are recommended. For info, visit eternelmedspa.com
The product: Elemis The Body Sculpting Firming System which includes the Body Sculpting Lipo-Refi ning Serum, Dhs490, Bloomingdale’s.
Application: The serum is applied first as a base for the firming cream. Both are light, non-sticky and unobtrusive in smell.
The science: Peru Liana is a super extract from the rainforests of Peru that miraculously prevents skin cells from filling with Triglycerides (that’s fat to you and I). Extracts of Sea Fennel and Scorparia (brown algae) detoxify the skin and bitter orange increases circulation to smooth out those bumps.
We say: “It is a bit of a chore having to use two products rather than just the one, but after four weeks’ use skin feels more taut and looks smoother.”
The product: Chanel Precision Body Excellence Firming Milk, Dhs346, Paris Gallery.
Application: Smoothes over the skin easily.
The science: This contains an organic silicone derivative, which acts as an elastic band that helps skin ‘bounce’ out of those dimples. The smoothing sugars exfoliate your uneven bits.
We say: “After four weeks, skin feels a little firmer and a little less lumpy when pressed. It makes a brilliant moisturiser as the skin feels velvety soft after application.”
The product: VICHY Liposyne Body Contouring Cellulite, Dhs127, Bin Sina Pharmacy.
Application: This product has a light liquid consistency that seeps in fast, although you’ll have to wash your hands after applying it or they will dry out.
The science: Adrenalyse is a plant based lipid that is exclusive to VICHY. It stops the generation of new fat and stimulates fatty deposits to get a whole lot smaller.
We say: “After using it day and night for one month skin appeared considerably firmer.”
The product: Nuxe Body-Contouring Serum for Embedded Cellulite, Dhs162 and Oil, Dhs149, Bin Sina Pharmacy.
Application: It’s a little more time consuming than usual, as there are two steps.
The science: Pop the serum on first as the cocoa polyhenols and Yacon extract helps reduce the appearance of embedded fat by “limiting the formation of lipids and boosting their breakdown”, says Cécile Dedievre from Nuxe laboratories.
We say: “Firmer skin was visible within two weeks of using the products. It may be a little more effort applying two products morning and night, but the proof is in the, er, pudding. Smooth the oil into the affected area first, apply the cream over the top, then wave goodbye to your orange peel skin.”
The product: 3LAB’s PERFECT Body Cream, Dhs950, Harvey Nichols and Bloomingdale’s.
Application: Massage this into your lumpy bits morning and night.
The science: It’s a highly active firming cream that tightens the skin and breaks down fat storage. How you say? Erica Y. Chung from 3Lab says, “The ingredient Affiness 5 reduces lipid (fat) transport and storage by slowing down proteins and fatty acids in the cells that store fat for energy, called adipocytes.”
We say: ”This cream works miracles. It’s costly but worth it.”
Sweat it out
There’s no way around it - exercise makes you look and feel better. Although there is (sadly) no miracle move to make your lumps and bumps disappear immediately, over time regular exercise will help reduce it, and vitally, prevent more cellulite from developing. Aerobics instructor Nancy Finesilver explains: “There is no one exercise you can do that will magically get rid of cellulite, but losing weight and toning up problem areas will certainly make a difference to the appearance of dimpled skin.” Finesilver’s top tips for toning are:
● Get out of your comfort zone. If you’re in the gym and you’re only breaking a mild sweat, you’re not working hard enough. If you want to change the appearance of your body, you need to commit to your workout.
● Do interval training. Interval training is a short burst of high-intensity work interspersed with recovery periods. If you’re a runner, rather than jogging for 20 minutes, try two minutes of sprinting followed by a minute of walking for 20 minutes instead. This will speed up your metabolism and help fight the fat.
● Get spinning. Spinning classes target the dreaded thigh and buttock area and also include interval training, which will aid that metabolism again.
● Make sure you are doing both cardio workouts (such as running, cycling or stepclasses) and weights. Women don’t often bother lifting weights as they’re worried they’ll bulk up, but weights will help boost s beach season rolls around again, it’s time to face the reality that hiding indoors over the summer with a tub of ice cream and your sofa for a best friend has probably done nothing for your figure. But while you can hide a bit of weight gain with some clever swimwear (thank you, stomach-support), there is no getting away from the fact that it’s much harder to hide the dreaded orange peel skin caused by cellulite. Whether you’re a larger lady or a skinny Minnie, those dastardly dimples can be a real problem. And while there is unfortunately no miracle cure for those lumps and bumps on your bottom and thighs, there are a few ways you can help reduce cellulite, tone up, and prevent more of the same from developing. So back away from that box set and get beach ready with our invincible bump-busting action plan your metabolism and tone muscles. And unless you’re eating six eggs after you use weights, you definitely won’t end up looking like the Incredible Hulk.
● Get lunging. Lunges work most of the muscles in your legs and your bum (hoorah)! Try mixing things up by lunging with your front or back foot on a step, include squats in your lunging routine, and make sure you get the technique right: keep your weight based in your heels, hold your stomach and core in, and be careful not to let your knees go over your feet when you lunge.
If you fancy increasing your workout, try the following:
● Hypoxi: If you exercise you won’t target the right bits unless, the people behind Hypoxi claim, you cycle in their vacuum pod that draws blood up to the surface, to get at that resistant layer. Get it at bodysmart.ae
● Fitflops: Wear them while exercising; they are moulded to activate your thigh muscles and bottom as you walk! From Dhs275.
● Powerplate: Take a few sessions on this cellulite-busting, bottom-firming, vibrating plate. Learn more at ae.powerplate.com
● Transition Plus: This treatment involves you having nodules stuck over target areas which contract your muscles to improve tissue strength, reduce tissue fluid and increase metabolic rate. It encourages inch loss, improves muscle tone and contributes to body reshaping. Expect to drop a dress size in one course (10 sessions) at Biolite Clinic, Dhs2,500 for one course. Call (04) 3752122.
At the spa
If you don’t fancy the full-on clinical approach to banishing the dimples, you can still wage war on your cellulite at the spa and at home. Ute Nazari, beauty therapist at Tilia & Finn at Mirdif City Centre recommends:
● UK brand Elemental Herbology. They have a fantastic range of products to help with a multitude of body issues. For cellulite, combine their Detox Bath Infusion and SOS Circulation Serum. Call (04) 438 0636.
● Have regular body wraps. If you suffer from cellulite, you should think about getting a body wrap every two weeks. Tilia & Finn has the perfect treatment called the Heated Blanket that includes Elementals SOS Circulation Serum along with their Body Detox clay mask, which stimulates circulation and breaks down fatty deposits. Call (04) 438 0636.
● Introduce an exfoliator into your shower routine. Just as you would use soap, you should be using a scrub on those areas affected by cellulite. We love Nuxe Exfoliating Shower Cream, Dhs125.
● Make your home like a spa and serve up some detox tea. When used alongside the correct products, teas such as detoxifying Dandelion and Liquorice should be drunk two to four times a day to make a difference. Get your daily cuppa from Organic Foods & Cafe (04) 434 0577.
And if all else fails...
Okay, so it’s beach season and you’ve broken the diet, smoked like a trooper and the only exercise you’ve done since June has been stretching for the TV remote. Never fear - these cheats will help you disguise your blips:
● Fake it till you make it - a natural fake tan helps make the skin look more even. Our favourite is ModelCo Tan in a Can, Dhs140, at FACES.
● Wear pants - good advice for everyone, surely? But in this case, Lipocontour Elite Shorts massage the skin to pump up your circulation and improve the look of dimply bits in just eight weeks, when worn for four hours a day. Dhs300, lipocontour.co.uk