The man who took the UAE to the heart of the Milan Expo
© ITP Images
• My agency designed and produced two significant landmark events for the UAE over the past year: the mini-pavilion experience at Expo Milan 2015, which presented the Dubai vision for Expo 2020 to 1.2 million visitors, and the official inaugural event for the birthplace of HH Sheikh Khalifa, Qasr al Muwaiji in Al Ain, a new museum and exhibition centre to celebrate significant moments of the president’s childhood and leadership.
• The best advice I’ve received is to always assume you don’t have all the information. The sum of the little things matter much more than the big things. As outside spectators, we have a tendency to assume things just happen as they are and see the result of things and not the challenging process (and failures!) that went into producing the result.
• I think the secret to success is saying ‘no’ more often.
• Typically I work 50 to 60 hours each week, but the reality is a lot more as owning a business is completely immersive. Living and working in the UAE feeds ambition and provides opportunity. My working day is: wake up, eat, social media binge, podcast, email, meetings, challenges, idea generation, eat, meetings, more ideas, eat, read, train, sleep, repeat.
• I regard business magnate Elon Musk as someone quite extraordinary. What he has achieved in the worlds of banking, automotives, space and energy is truly unbelievable. Most importantly, he’s a man who’s prepared to put everything on the line.