On 27 September, platinum-record-selling singer Selena Gomez will be in town to perform at Dubai Music Week, a new music trade show at the Dubai World Trade Centre. She may be just 21 years old but the Stars Dance artist already has an impressive 11 years in the spotlight. Everyone knows she once dated fellow superstar Justin Bieber but here are a few facts you probably didn’t know about the multi-talented entertainer. Enjoy!
1. Starting out: Her first big break in showbiz came with a two-year stint on Barney and Friends.
2. Making sweet music: The former Disney star is a big fan of singer Cheryl Cole and wants to duet with the Geordie.
3. Action girl: The diminutive singer is a sports fanatic and loves to surf, skateboard and roller-skate.
4. Crazy taste: Although her favourite fruit is mango, Selena would love to make pickle flavoured chewing gum.
5. Welcome to the dark side: Halloween is her favourite holiday season and she prefers horror movies to fluffy rom-coms.
6. Art imitating life: Selena appeared opposite Miley Cyrus in a few episodes of Hannah Montana as Hannah’s rival, Mikayla.
7. Powerful vocals: Selena flexed her chords to voice 90 characters in the film Horton Hears a Who.
8. Be under no illusion: Even though she starred in Wizards Of Waverly Place, Selena has admitted she doesn't like magic and was not blown away by the Harry Potter movies.
9. Barking mad: She has no fewer than six pet dogs including one called Baylor that she adopted with then Boyfriend, Justin Bieber.
10. Well oiled machine: In order to protect her voice, Selena follows the advice of American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson and regularly sips on olive oil.
INFO: Tickets available at www.ticketmaster.ae, Selena Gomez on 27 September, Dubai Music Week 24 to 29 September 2013, Dubai World Trade Centre Arena, www.dubaimusicweek.com.