He has just become the world's most expensive footballer with a transfer fee of £85.3 million, even though he has never won any of the big trophys. While Gareth Bale may now be a household name, here are a few facts that you probably don't know about the boy from the Valleys.
1. Although he is now a winger, his first position was as a marauding left back.
2. His mother, Debbie, is an operations manager and his father Frank is a school caretaker.
3. Former professional Fulham star and Welsh legend Chris Pike is Gareth's uncle.
4. When he was just 14 years old, he ran the 100 metre sprint in 11.4 seconds.
5. Bale became the second youngest footballer to ever play for Southampton on 17 April 2006, at the age of 16 years and 275 days.
6. For the 2012–13 Premier League season, Bale changed his squad number from 3 to number 11 as he was moved into a midefield position.
7. Despite not winning any major trophies in his career, Gareth was deemed a 'must have' buy by Real Madrid legend Zinedine Zidane.
8. Bale trademarked his 'heart hand shape' goal celebration along with his squad number when at Tottenham Hotspur.
9. The dedicated sportsman doesn't drink any hops or bubbly, his beverage of choice is a cold glass of water.
10. Bale and his childhood sweetheart Emma Rhys-Jones have moved to Madrid, Spain and are already looking at luxury villas to settle in.