As the dean of the brand new Dubai Institute of Design and Innovation (DIDI) Brown has got her hands fashionably full
© ITP Media Group
- My biggest achievement of the past year would have to be joining DIDI as Founding Dean and helping to support the development of the ﬁrstever cross-disciplinary design degree in the region.
- Searching for, interviewing and hiring some incredible, diverse and multidisciplinary faculty from around the world for DIDI would have to be one highlight from the past year. Also, acting as a judge for the Dubai Design and Fashion Council and also Fashion Scouts. Speaking at Dubai Design Week has to be another highlight, too.
- There are very few places in the world that are capable of dreaming and implementing vision on such a scale as the UAE does.
- Traditional artisanship and material culture rooted in the traditions of a region, and the designers supporting it, are what inspires me.
- I look up to Vivienne Westwood for her creative spirit, her activism, and her uncompromising individuality and style.
- I have learnt that I have to look after myself ﬁrst. When I look after my physical and emotional well-being, I am better able to support others.
- This year, I look forward to welcoming DIDI’s founding faculty, as well as the ﬁrst cohort of students. I’m also really looking forward to establishing DIDI as the leading design university in the region.