Ramadan Recipes: Lebanon
In this part of the world, this dish requires little introduction. Popular at any time of year, these deep-fried vegetarian delights are awesome stuffed into Arabic pitta with pickles and tahini sauce.
• 1 cup dried broad beans
• 1 cup dried chick peas
• 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
• 4 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 tsp ground coriander
• 1 tbsp ground cumin
• 1 onion, chopped
• ½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
• ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
• ¼ tsp mixed spice
• Salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak the beans and chick peas in water and bicarbonate of soda overnight or for 24 hours.
2. Drain and wash.
3. Combine the beans with all the other ingredients in a food processor and blend until you achieve a soft dough-like consistency.
4. Transfer to a bowl and chill for one hour.
5. Divide and shape the mixture into small balls and flatten with your palm.
6. Deep fry until golden brown. Serve warm.