Ramadan Recipes: Algeria
It’s unlikely that any Algerian table will be without this popular starter, which is traditionally served alongside soup as a first course meal.
• 1 onion, chopped
• 250g minced beef
• A pinch of ground cinnamon
• Salt and pepper to taste
• A bunch of parsley, chopped
• 1 package filo pastry
• 6 cream cheese triangles, halved
• 1½ cups melted butter
1. Preheat your oven to 180C.
2. Gently sauté the onion for around 5 minutes until soft. Add the minced beef and brown until all the water evaporates and the mixture is dry. Add a pinch each of cinnamon, salt and pepper and the chopped parsley and stir well. Allow to cool.
3. Open the filo pastry, covering with a damp cloth to prevent it from drying out.
4. Line a large Pyrex dish with a single layer of filo pastry. Brush with melted butter. Continue this process, layer by layer until half the filo sheets are used.
5. Arrange the filling in a single layer on top of this. Distribute the cream cheese triangles evenly on top, if using.
6. Begin layering the filo pastry as before on top of this mixture, creating a sandwich for the filling. Bake for 40 minutes on the middle rack until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.